Saturday, November 17, 2012

Vintage caravan restoration continues

We have done very little on our restoration project, here is the first post.

Here is the overhead cupboards being restored.



The original cupboard had two doors and there large areas that could not be reached, so we re shaped it to have 4 large door and a section in the middle for a car stereo and a small door to store ipod etc.

'Before photo' of the cupboard, see the huge wasted space where everything would get lost.




Also I found some doona covers on sale, they are very thick and heavy quality, now before you look, remember "vintage" ;o) Also I want to be mindful of the boys, can't make it too girlie ( maybe just a bit!).


We are trying to maximise storage and keep the weight to a minimum. We found some nice quality wire drawers at Bunnings. A company called HandyShelf make them, you can pick and choice what you want, different draw sizes and they are reasonably light weight and well priced.
They are very solid once put together. One of these baskets will hold our dirty clothes awaiting washing and the other clean towels, the small mesh draw for toiletries, washing powder etc.
Much to my delight I've got more space than I first thought! That never happens!!



It is all very slow though, between study and Pooh health. Oh and I've dropped my hopes of having an en-suit, we will put the porta potty in the shower tent. It was too much to add extra water and a storage tank of black water (is that what it's called? All the poo and flush water?)

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

How exciting, will be great when it's finished :)Think I've finally found what could have been wrong with me all these years. pretty sure I have Lyme disease, I'm off to see Lyme doctor tomorrow and hope to get blood tests either tomorrow or next week through infect lab in Germany ...testing in Australia isn't accurate at all..wish me luck ..I'll keep you posted...

Sherrie said...

Not sure where you will be travelling too...but if you get over to the West, you will be very welcome at our place we have a big property plenty of room to set up your caravan...

Secret Hippie said...

Bless your socks, thank you for the offer! If in WA I'll give you a tingle.

Lymes disease isn't well known in Australia. I hope you get some answers.
This was our very dear friend who died from it http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/babesiosis-australi.html
Bear in mind he was immunocompromised to start with, he had had an awful motor vehicle accident earlier.